Audi Forum - Fourtitude banner

1 - 20 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
12,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WRX drivers, here's your chance. I see this everywhere. Why are you bolting over-sized, 18-wheeler mudflaps on your vehicles? Is this simply "paying tribute" to the history of the Impreza WRX/WRC? I find this trend the equivalent of the late 90s/early 2000s and Civics bolting shopping cart wings on their cars. Please help me better understand the practicality since I have yet to see one WRX/STI covered in mud.

·
Registered
16,176 Posts
They're not THAT big lol. I see them on FiST's, FoST's, WRX's, Lancers, BRZ's around here. They work great on dirt and snow hence their popularity around here.

·
Registered
12,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're not THAT big lol. I see them on FiST's, FoST's, WRX's, Lancers, BRZ's around here. They work great on dirt and snow hence their popularity around here.
They're big. I especially like when they select hot pink or fire engine red. I owned a bugeye back in the day, and I didn't see this trend.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
WRX drivers, here's your chance. I see this everywhere. Why are you bolting over-sized, 18-wheeler mudflaps on your vehicles? Is this simply "paying tribute" to the history of the Impreza WRX/WRC? I find this trend the equivalent of the late 90s/early 2000s and Civics bolting shopping cart wings on their cars. Please help me better understand the practicality since I have yet to see one WRX/STI covered in mud.
It's just what the trend is these days--and I totally feel the same way. At the very least, you don't need flaps that large. As Rob said, it's now WRXs/STIs/FoRS/FoST/FiST.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Wait.....every single car mod is supposed to be 100% practical????

Better go tell the camber crowd, donks, bro-dozer, Cali-lean, big wing, fart can, hood scoop, lambo door, chrome trim, bagged suspension...ok I’m tired.

It’s a look. It’s “cool”.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
why are the majority of jeeps lifted when they will never see anything less paved than maybe a gravel driveway? why do Harley riders put loud pipes on their bikes? why is the earth flat? how do magnets work?

some things will never be answered.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I've had 2 WRXs, a 2011 hatch and a 2016 sedan, both with mudflaps of course. Here's how I see it: mudflaps are very effective at protecting your paint from all of the crap that flies off your tires, but aren't always the coolest thing to add to your car. The WRX's rally car heritage (i know a production WRX isn't a rally car) has made it cool to have flaps, so it's now acceptable to protect your paint.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
why are the majority of jeeps lifted when they will never see anything less paved than maybe a gravel driveway? why do Harley riders put loud pipes on their bikes? why is the earth flat? how do magnets work?

some things will never be answered.

·
Registered
12,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've had 2 WRXs, a 2011 hatch and a 2016 sedan, both with mudflaps of course. Here's how I see it: mudflaps are very effective at protecting your paint from all of the crap that flies off your tires, but aren't always the coolest thing to add to your car. The WRX's rally car heritage (i know a production WRX isn't a rally car) has made it cool to have flaps, so it's now acceptable to protect your paint.
How often were you ripping around in the mud and kicking up rocks and bugs and things?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
There's a difference between what's necessary:

And what's trendy (and yes, those are IKEA cutting boards):

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
These are like a light bar for a pickup. It's not hurting anyone. And it makes you feel cooler when you slap on your meaty snows.

I had a set for my GR hatch. The passenger rear curled. I hated looking at that, so no more.

·
Registered
34,777 Posts
You're trolling the wrong forum, you meant to troll here:

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/content/

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I dig this trend, I want to get an 01 3.0 jaguar x-type, lower it an inch and put big ass mudflaps on them. THE RALLY JAG

·
Registered
9,076 Posts

They sell them on performance websites so I think you just need to know more about how a rally car works. :laugh:

This could be a fun thread though. I want to see the most ridiculous mud flaps on the most mundane cars.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Eh, they're not that big, and they are, ya know, functional in terms of protecting the paint (and this is Subaru paint we're talking about... can't be too careful).

Recent pic at local soccer fields.

·
Registered
12,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Eh, they're not that big, and they are, ya know, functional in terms of protecting the paint (and this is Subaru paint we're talking about... can't be too careful).
But why is it it (mostly) you guys interested in protecting your paint with trucker mud flaps? Surely other makes like Audi and BMW owners, etc.. would worry about this just as much, if not more.

1 - 20 of 190 Posts