Audi Forum - Fourtitude banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm purchasing an 06' A3 20T - Sports Package, Winter Package, NAV, Premium Audio.
Currently has 51K on it with a clean CarFax and has been fully serviced.

Do you mind if i ask - What type of problems do these cars normally have? Says it still has a warranty on it. Anything known with the A3's that could be trouble? I'm coming from a 99.5 golf that has a problem every other week.

·
Registered
754 Posts
cam follower / cam shaft / hpfp
diverter valve
ac compressor
PCV
seat bolster cracking
sunroof shade
center armrest
intake flap motor

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
A "jump from a VW to an Audi"?!? I wouldn't call it a jump. It's more like shuffling along the sidewalk, tripping on a crack, bumping into a gorgeous blonde, walking away in a daze, and later finding out that she stole your wallet.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
A "jump from a VW to an Audi"?!? I wouldn't call it a jump. It's more like shuffling along the sidewalk, tripping on a crack, bumping into a gorgeous blonde, walking away in a daze, and later finding out that she stole your wallet.
Aahahah!

That needs to go into your sig line!

·
Registered
295 Posts
That makes the 2 of us ... my last car was a 2000.5 Golf 1.8T

Definitely check the cam follower. In fact, I wish I have made that part of my inspection prior to buying the car. Insist on having a mechanics check the cam follower and cam shaft prior to purchasing the vehicle, even if you have to pay the labour out of your pocket (shouldn't be much, it's a 30 min - 1 hr job) Because if the cam follower's failed, you will have a damaged cam shaft and failed HPFP. You're talking about $2k-3k here.

Other problems are 'minor' in comparison.

The 2008+ with TFSI 2.0T are less problematic, but again, that's a much more expensive car. Just do your homework prior to buying the 2006, you'll enjoy it.

·
Banned
207 Posts
Do your Oil changes on a good schedule, Its a car. I just recently bought the same year,package, etc... if the engine was that bad it would of never went on the market.. May not be unbreakable like an ABA 2.0 but it isnt that bad.. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
I bought my 06 with about the same amount of miles..... but that was 2 years ago. :)
Mine had a slow coolant leak from a flange that bolts to the head. Also, they tend to burn a little oil. Pull the dipstick and make sure someone hasn't been running it too low.

·
Registered
6,604 Posts

·
Registered
10,869 Posts
Unless you buy an 06 3.2, I haven't had any problems with mine (Knock on wood). Solid engine.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Speaking of wheel bearing failure, I've been getting this noise which sounds a lot like worn wheel bearing at high speed ... which isn't a surprise considering the mileage, but the strange thing is it cuts off very sharp at 120km/hr (~ 70mph). When I let the car slow down back to ~ 120km/hr, the sound comes right back.

I thought wheel bearing problem will get louder as the car goes faster? Anybody else had this?

I'll prob get it looked at at next maintenance anyways.

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Bump for one of the best posts ever.

·
Registered
6,566 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm about to get the cam chain and tensioner replaced on mine, my follower cam and hpfp are ok, it's just idling loud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts