VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Can cold tires create vibration?

2K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  addictedtogum 
#1 ·
I have a '16 F150. I have a very annoying vibration, but only during the winter time (colder than 50f). I am chalking it up to crappy tires, but I would like to confirm. It happens right around 60-70mph. Last winter I got the tires balanced, and they get rotated every oil change (no difference btw). I have ZERO vibration in the summer, the truck is as smooth as can be. They are Goodyear Wrangler SRAs and I run them at the recommended 35psi.

#4 ·
It can happen, but if it's tires, I'd expect it to go away in a few miles of highway driving as the tires heat up. You made it sound like that doesn't happen.

I've also had issues with shock absorbers "freezing", although at much lower temperatures. Terrible ride quality and some vibrations in the suspension until they warmed up after a couple of miles.

#8 ·
It can happen, but if it's tires, I'd expect it to go away in a few miles of highway driving as the tires heat up. You made it sound like that doesn't happen.

I've also had issues with shock absorbers "freezing", although at much lower temperatures. Terrible ride quality and some vibrations in the suspension until they warmed up after a couple of miles.
most of my driving is around town, 65mph. I rarely go on the highway, but will pay attention next highway sprint. I know for sure have driven for 30-40mins @ 65mph and it did not go away

#11 ·
I could see a cheap tire compound hardening overnight, causing an imbalance issue if the weight of the truck is flat spotting them a tiny bit? Best answer would be to swap out the tires/wheels for another set (if you have a buddy with a truck that has the same bolt pattern) and see if it eliminates the tires/wheels as a variable...not the easiest thing but perhaps the cheapest way to test?

#13 ·
Jack up the front of the truck enough so the weight is off of the tires, put stands under it, leave it overnight and lower it before you take off for work. If the problem is still there then it isn't flat spots on the tires. It may just still be cold tires, but it isn't flat spots. It's additional information to help with the diagnosis no matter the result.

#14 ·
i have noticed cold vibration on high performance tires before, but never seen this issue on standard car/suv tires unless the car was parked a long time or parked until the tires went flat.

as a chuckle, my Evo in very cold weather (below 20* F) wouldn't roll down hill when started. i'd back it out of the spot in the parking ramp and it wouldn't roll down in the incline! everything was so cold and there is so much drivetrain in that car it just would sit still like the e-brake was on. :LOL:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.