Audi Forum - Fourtitude banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Any information/pricing on the newer designed stage 2 and 3 clutch from South Bend?

Stage 2 has a South Bend modified stock Sachs pressure plate with a fulcrum modification to achieve a higher clamping force.

Stage 3 uses a Sachs Race Engineered pressure plate modifications done by Sachs. Reinforced heat treated fingers, higher strength ductile iron friction surface and a much higher clamping force.

Silent design pre-dampened discs are available to minimize drive train noise.
The silent design clutch disc is an additional $150 added to any kit.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Which specifically are the newer designs? Looks all the same as before to me :confused:
Stage 3 has a new exedy disk and the disk for stage 2 has been redesigned. I have seen photos of both new disk and they are not the same as before!

:popcorn:

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Just had Tyrol Sport in Ridgewood, Queens, N.Y. install the Stage 2 Daily with the silent
design pre-dampened disc option and I'm glad I didn't go to a higher level of clutch. I'm
at complete APR Stage II now, with a custom Borla catback exhaust, and will be going to
K04 in my 2012 'Six Speed' Turbo Beetle after the winter and did the Stage 2 Daily so that
I will be able to handle the increased torque. Even if you stay at APR's Stage I and II levels,
once you have the ECU flashed in the Turbo Beetle your torque goes from 207 to 297 which
in itself is enough to affect an OEM clutch like the one in the TB and others have reported
'slipping' after installing the APR 'flash' and Stage II component upgrades. The Stage 2 clutch
from South Bend is just a bit more 'springy' when engaging '1st Gear' but doesn't give you
the 'left leg' fatgue you would experience in levels above the 'Stage 2 Daily'. The Pre Dampened
'silent design' disc is not totally silent but does not have the 'loud chattering' noise I've noticed
in other clutch upgrades. I'm very satisfied with the product and would recommend it to anyone
thinking about going from their OEM clutch to the next level.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just picked up my mk6 GTI today. I had the South Bend stg2 endurance silent clutch kit installed with smf as well as a Peloquin LSD. Here's a couple of videos showing cabin noise which is basically nonexistent. I'm very happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFGsaOaLd3E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg6cPaw40SA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMzjbkOBgw0

2010 GTI 4dr autobahn, APR stg2, AWE tbe, ECS sways, Vogtland springs, SS lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HP+, Unibrace XB, SB stg 2 endurance silent, Peloquin LSD, tracked frequently.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Have had your Stage II Daily (with silent upgrade) in my 6-speed - 2012 K04 Turbo Beetle
for the past 5,000 miles and it is perfect for spirited city driving. :thumbup:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Gonna sound like a noob...

Becuase I kinda am lol.

Question:

I know there are obvious mechanical differences in the 3 types of clutch, (daily, drag, and endurance), as a daily driver, the stage 2 daily sounds practical and smart because im just about done hearing the glazed pressure plate 'wooot' noise everytime i let off the clutch... Anyway, back to the question, what's the difference the driver would notice, while driving, between the 3?

Thank you much!

-John

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Becuase I kinda am lol.

Question:

I know there are obvious mechanical differences in the 3 types of clutch, (daily, drag, and endurance), as a daily driver, the stage 2 daily sounds practical and smart because im just about done hearing the glazed pressure plate 'wooot' noise everytime i let off the clutch... Anyway, back to the question, what's the difference the driver would notice, while driving, between the 3?

Thank you much!

-John
Unless you're ever going to go past a K04 set-up, the Stage 2 Daily 'Silent Disc' would be what I would
recommend. Once you get past the Stage 2 Daily, pressure requirements on the clutch make it a tiring
exercise in city driving. The Stage 2 Daily can more than handle any added power levels produced by a
stronger K04 Turbo without having you worry about damaging the tranny. However, I would definitely
think about adding the HPA 'dog bone' Red (75 durometer) insert that uses your existing hardware.
Personally, I also upgraded my 2012 TB's tranny mount to the VWRacing one, not to mention that the
upper motor mount was swapped out for the one from the Golf R.. This combination, with upgraded
Whiteline (75 durometer) Front Lower Arm Bushings and Rear Trailer Arm Bushings, has my car running
beautifully with no vibrations.

·
Registered
9,261 Posts
Ordered mine a few weeks ago and had it installed last week at the dealership. I have a K04 setup and decided to go with the Stg3 daily. Slightly different setup than the one listed above. Spoke to James (?) I believe and he was very helpful. :thumbup:

21 - 36 of 36 Posts